Re: Need help importing / exporting a schema

From: Blake McBride <blake_at_mcbride.name>
Date: Sun, 3 Jun 2007 16:44:15 GMT

On 3-Jun-2007, sybrandb_at_hccnet.nl wrote:

> On Sun, 3 Jun 2007 14:14:10 GMT, "Blake McBride" <blake_at_mcbride.name>
> wrote:
>

> >On 3-Jun-2007, sybrandb_at_hccnet.nl wrote:

> >> depends on the kind of export/import.
> >> Only a full database export will contain all create user commands
> >> Only a full database import will read those and execute them.
> >>

> >I would rather the import / export exclude creation of users.
> >I'd rather it only deal with tables, indexes, etc.
> >
> >So, what commends would you recommend for the balnking of the database?
> >
> >Any ideas about getting the kink of export I am looking for?
> >(If the export includes user creation, it is okay. I can ignore those
> >commands.)
> >
> >Thanks.
> >
> >Blake McBride
>
> Dropping the user is the easiest way of recreating a schema. Otherwise
> you would be forced to drop individual tables, and in the correct
> order (so you can't drop a table, which is still being referred to by
> foreign keys).
> As I already stated: only al full database export will contain the
> create user commands. This means an user mode export will NOT contain
> the create user command.
> An user mode import will automagically suppress the create user
> command, if present.
> I guess what you are after is a complete free writeup on exp/imp as a
> free replacement for you not having to read the documentation.
> Regrettably for you, this forum is not a free CBT forum.
>
> --
>
> Sybrand Bakker
> Senior Oracle DBA

I don't know what CBT is and I am not looking for complete training of anything.
I did spend a bunch of time in the docs looking for the three SIMPLE things I
am looking for with no luck. To-date you haven't even told me how to do the type of export
I am looking for. All other databases I've ever used take one simple command to dump the
entire schema to a text file. I found no reference to this anywhere in the docs.
This has got to be a simple thing. I just need to know the secret command.

I am not importing the same schema that I will export. For this reason I need the database
created with no tables. I've got to believe that once I've dropped the whole thing, one
simple command would create the blank DB. I just need the secret command. Received on Sun Jun 03 2007 - 11:44:15 CDT