Re: Writing PL/SQL in Java.

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Sun, 03 Jun 2007 09:40:31 -0700

Frank van Bortel wrote:

> Ever tried to read an OS directory listing?

Yes.

> Ever tried to send mail with attachments?
> (Why would you want to do that from within a database?!?)

I wouldn't but if I did I'd use UTL_MAIL which, while likely written in Java, does not require a developer or DBA that can write a single curly brace.

I'd rather there as assembler or C under the hood than Java but my point was not whether Oracle uses Java to write database components but rather whether a database development shop should be their own Java into the database and I would argue they should not unless there is no alternative.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington