Re: Need help importing / exporting a schema

From: <sybrandb_at_hccnet.nl>
Date: Sun, 03 Jun 2007 16:48:58 +0200

On Sun, 3 Jun 2007 14:14:10 GMT, "Blake McBride" <blake_at_mcbride.name> wrote:

>On 3-Jun-2007, sybrandb_at_hccnet.nl wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 3 Jun 2007 13:14:13 GMT, "Blake McBride" <blake_at_mcbride.name>
>> wrote:
>>

>> >I presume using "DROP USER" is only half of what I need.
>> >Don't I have to re-add the user or schema?
>>
>> depends on the kind of export/import.
>> Only a full database export will contain all create user commands
>> Only a full database import will read those and execute them.
>>

>I would rather the import / export exclude creation of users.
>I'd rather it only deal with tables, indexes, etc.
>
>So, what commends would you recommend for the balnking of the database?
>
>Any ideas about getting the kink of export I am looking for?
>(If the export includes user creation, it is okay. I can ignore those
>commands.)
>
>Thanks.
>
>Blake McBride

Dropping the user is the easiest way of recreating a schema. Otherwise you would be forced to drop individual tables, and in the correct order (so you can't drop a table, which is still being referred to by foreign keys).
As I already stated: only al full database export will contain the create user commands. This means an user mode export will NOT contain the create user command.
An user mode import will automagically suppress the create user command, if present.
I guess what you are after is a complete free writeup on exp/imp as a free replacement for you not having to read the documentation. Regrettably for you, this forum is not a free CBT forum.

--

Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA