Re: Why Oracle don't have AUTO_INCREMENT as in MySQL

From: Galen Boyer <galen_boyer_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 23 Apr 2007 01:24:02 -0500

On Sun, 22 Apr 2007, damorgan_at_psoug.org wrote:
> Galen Boyer wrote:
>

>>> The Oracle sequence is a far more intelligent way to solve the
>>> problem.
>> The Oracle sequence is a far more powerful object that can be
>> used to
>> mimic autoincrementing keys.  But that doesn't make it easier to
>> implement for the developers.

> If a developer can't handle
>
> INSERT INTO t
> (idcol)
> VALUES
> (idseq.NEXTVAL);
>
> Then they should learn to say 'do you want fries with that'.
>
> I hate to be a bit harsh here but it isn't exactly like asking
> them to step up to a real hardship like curly braces or assembler.

Daniel,

You are just being completely disingenuous. As the codebase grows and grows, it would be quite easy for even a very experienced developer to call the wrong sequence and it could take awhile before it might get uncovered. The less you have to manually tie things with code, the better. Thats just plain common-sense.

--
Galen Boyer