Re: Why Oracle don't have AUTO_INCREMENT as in MySQL

From: Galen Boyer <galen_boyer_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 23 Apr 2007 01:27:02 -0500

On Sun, 22 Apr 2007, damorgan_at_psoug.org wrote:
> hasta_l3_at_hotmail.com wrote:
>

>> What people would like is to *supplement* sequences
>> with a declarative way to tell oracle : Please provide
>> a unique value for this primary key if none specified.
>> Something like DB2, which - as I get it - has both
>> SEQUENCEs and IDENTITY columns...

> I can understand the allure of such but laziness being
> what it is I would expect most developers to be lazy and
> the quality of applications to suffer.

Come on Daniel. Sometimes you talk about how easy Oracle is to use over other products, but then when something is shown to be easier than how Oracle implements something you turn the argument around and say, well, its easiness shows how lazy people are and we should stick with the less easy solution.

--
Galen Boyer