Re: Why Oracle don't have AUTO_INCREMENT as in MySQL

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2007 11:05:42 -0700

Galen Boyer wrote:

>> The Oracle sequence is a far more intelligent way to solve the
>> problem.

> The Oracle sequence is a far more powerful object that can be used to
> mimic autoincrementing keys. But that doesn't make it easier to
> implement for the developers.

If a developer can't handle

INSERT INTO t
(idcol)
VALUES
(idseq.NEXTVAL);

Then they should learn to say 'do you want fries with that'.

I hate to be a bit harsh here but it isn't exactly like asking them to step up to a real hardship like curly braces or assembler.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington