Re: Selecting SIMILAR, not the same records (PROBABLE) duplicates

From: kroger <kroger_at_vp.pl>
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2006 22:14:30 +0200

>> I'm a Java programmer
>>
> Not to be too cruel but this explains much.

I don't feel offended. I'm not working with DBMS most of the time, that's why I'm posting here the questions, not the answers ;)

> From the DBMS side my basic premise is that if the data is not
> constrained a part of a primary key, unique constraint, foreign
> key, check constraint, or by a trigger ... it is a memo field and
> one should expect it to contain nothing but garbage.
>
> That seems to be your current situation.

Exactly. But the scope of the project is to gather the data, filter, clean and make the garbage useful - by automated and manual matching. Whether one likes it or not, this is the goal and it implies some business requirements.
As I wrote before - I'm just providing applications - there are up to 100 people all over the world doing this (manual matching) Sisyphus job.

> Get someone to apply some SQL or PL/SQL to the problem.

After this discussion (which helped me a lot in fact) I can handle that myself - I'm not that COMPLETE newbie with it... ;)

Best Regards,
Kroger Received on Wed Sep 06 2006 - 15:14:30 CDT