Re: Using the Object Browser

From: Brian Peasland <dba_at_nospam.peasland.net>
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2006 12:09:47 GMT

jctown_at_nb.sympatico.ca wrote:
> I have a table set up with a few fields
>
> CREATE TABLE "books"
> ( "ISBN" VARCHAR2(20) NOT NULL ENABLE,
> "Title" VARCHAR2(50) NOT NULL ENABLE,
> "Author" VARCHAR2(100) NOT NULL ENABLE,
> "Publisher" VARCHAR2(100) NOT NULL ENABLE,
> "Subject" VARCHAR2(30),
> "Pages" NUMBER
> )

It is not a good idea to use double quotes when defining a table or column name, as shown above. Oracle will make the table or column name case-sensitive, which is not the default for an Oracle database. Therefore, you will *always* have to use double quotes in your SQL statements as follows:

SELECT "Title","Author" FROM "books";

Remove the double quotes and the table and column names default to upper case.

> When I try to add a row using Insert Row from the Orfacle Database
> Express Edition Web Page,
> the ISBN, which is supposed to be unique per book (so I want to use it
> as a Primary Key once the table is loaded) somehow changes to a
> different value after I am done adding a new row. There are no
> constraints or indexes on the table as I removed them thinking they
> might be the cause of my problem. However I have had no luck in
> identifying the cause. So I have to edit each row after I add it and
> change the ISBN to the value I originally typed in. This seems a bit
> odd to me so I am wondering what I can look at or check to see what *I*
> have done wrong.

Constraints or indexes would not change the values inserted into a table. However, a trigger on the table would potentially change the value. Have you checked to see if a trigger exists which might be modifying the ISBN value?

HTH,
Brian

Brian Peasland
dba_at_nospam.peasland.net