Re: server platform performance comparisons

From: HansF <Fuzzy.Greybeard_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2006 13:59:47 GMT

On Fri, 18 Aug 2006 06:08:07 -0700, colinmain wrote:

> Can anyone recommend a site that compares DB performance on platforms
> based on different processors (e.g., Itanium, AMD64, HP PA-RISC)?

A comparison, based on experts squeezing the last ounce of performance they can out of hand-picked hardware configurations, can be found at http://www.tpc.org

IMO, the cost of training people to be /truly/ competent at the Sys Admin and DB Admin level is such that you might want to pick the OS first (perhaps based on competence) and the hardware based on the OS.

In that direction, consider that the OS support of graphics will chew up a fair chunk of the resources available on the machine. A server might require little direct hooman interaction, and a graphics subsystem used only 1% of the time is a waste of those resources. (Which fits well into Oracle's Grid Control - the visual admin tool is not on the server.)

--
Hans Forbrich   (mailto: Fuzzy.GreyBeard_at_gmail.com)
*** Feel free to correct me when I'm wrong!