Re: server platform performance comparisons

From: Ian M <me_at_NOSPAM.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2006 18:43:41 +0200

<colinmain_at_gmail.com> wrote in message
>I am just about at the stage where I need to start looking at our next
> generation of Oracle server and I need to prepare some initial
> information on server performance. (We are sticking with Oracle so I do
> not care about the more common SQL-Server vs. Oracle comparisons.)
>
> Can anyone recommend a site that compares DB performance on platforms
> based on different processors (e.g., Itanium, AMD64, HP PA-RISC)?
>
> I know there will be other differences in hardware that will affect
> things big time but I need to get started so anything indicative would
> be very helpful.
>
> Many thanks in advance,
>
> Colin Main

Hi Colin,

I understand the problem, but the question doesn't seem to match the requirement, maybe I misread - it happens =).

Assuming the question to be "how do I measure current server performance to allow me to plan for the future", the answer is : vmstat (another assumption being UNIX).

In other words find out what you currently use and then include your plan/expectations for your growth and changes - using this information then plan your new server.

The only other thing I would caution is to make sure your database is actually tuned before doing this or you may just end up throwing hardware at what is essentially a database performance problem.

Hope it helps.

Regards,
Ian Received on Fri Aug 18 2006 - 11:43:41 CDT