Re: mysql + oracle

From: Volker Hetzer <firstname.lastname_at_ieee.org>
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2006 15:55:01 +0200

pstachy schrieb:

> Volker Hetzer napisal(a):
>> pstachy schrieb:

>>> Hi
>>> I have an oracle database and need to get some data from it and
>>> replicate that data on mysql database in order to have it via WWW
>>> (apache + mysql + php).
>>> The only way to connect between oracle and mysql that comes to my mind
>>> is by PHP. e.g. get some data from oracle to a file and then load it to
>>> mysql.
>>> My question is: Is there maybe any other (simpler, safer, better?) way
>>> to do it???
>> What prevents you from accessing the oracle database from php too?
> Well, generally nothing... I'm looking for a way to connect(replicate)
> oracle with mysql without a  mediator like PHP. I'm not sure if it is
> possible altogether...

Generaly it's not possible to "replicate" between oracle and mysql as they both contain features that don't exist on the other system, sequences and enums being obvious examples. The same is true between sqlserver and mysql, oracle and sqlserver and so on.
So, the obvious question is, why do you need both systems? Can you get rid of one?

Lots of Greetings!
Volker

--
For email replies, please substitute the obvious.