Re: Using dual to simulate a table

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2006 16:05:05 +0200

On Fri, 28 Jul 2006 13:02:21 +0000 (UTC), Stan Brown <stanb_at_panix.com> wrote:

>I have a really old piece of (binary only) code that makes a call like
>"select tstamp from tstamp where tstamp = 123456". I've always maintained a
>table with a continuous sequence of numbers for this app but I would like
>to be able to stop doing this.
>
>Isn't there a way I can create a view by the name tstamp that queries dual?
>or a sequence, somehow. The query always contains the desired answer.
>
>This is on version 7 BTW.

Just of out curiosity, why do you stick to a version which predates the Neanderthaler?
I would say it wouldn't matter what you do, because you are on your own anyway.
But woe, when you loose your job, and have to catch up with Oracle 9i (soon to be replaced) or 10g.

--
Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA