Re: No unsigned in Oracle?

From: Jens Lenge <spampot_at_gmx.net>
Date: 13 Jul 2006 06:45:08 -0700

Martin T. wroteb:

> You could post your statement, might be enlightening.

Oracle claims to accept ISO/ANSI SQL compliant statements involving ISO SQL data types. Just try something like

create table test
(
  value smallint unsigned,
);

While it does work with "smallint", it does not with "smallint unsigned".

> And what for would you need this type? The NUMBER type has a precision
> of I think 38 digits - so you can even easily store an unsigned int64
> (not that I've seen one so far) :)

I have no problem if Oracle maps ISO SQL types onto its NUMBER type as long as it accepts SQL statements that deal with ISO types. But I don't like having to change ISO compliant statements to make them work with Oracle.

(I know that there are few, if any, DBMS that are truly *fully* ISO SQL compliant. But I still think the simple things should work in any DMBS without change.) Received on Thu Jul 13 2006 - 08:45:08 CDT