Re: Newbie Question:Best development language

From: Mark D Powell <Mark.Powell_at_eds.com>
Date: 24 Jun 2006 14:07:29 -0700

swaxolez wrote:
> I haven't seen many comparisons of late in this newsgroup between using
> .Net, Java or PL/SQL or a mixture of any or all of them. I am mostly a
> C programmer with a rudimentary knowledge of Java and VB.
>
> I'm about to setup my first major Oracle database and need to do quite
> a lot of record manipulation i.e. compute time difference between
> records with a matching field, xml export and a user friendly
> customized GUI.
>
> I'm ashamed to admit I have come from the MS-Access world but although
> Access has too many limitations to note it does have a pretty slick
> interface and programming side for manipulating data.
>
> Look forward to hearing some opinions on this matter.
>
> Thanks

The "best" programming language for the job is highly subjective. The correct answer probably depends on the task to be done, the time available, and the existing knowledge level of the available tools allowing for a context specific response as opposed to a purely theoretical response.

Any final result is likely to be a combination of front-end tool HTML from web development tool, Java or .net, and pl/sql (or T-SQL) in the database depending on the backend database in use.

Oracle performs date math and timestamp math in a fairly straight forward manner. The date plus 10.t is ten days and 12 hours into the future, etc...

HTH - Mark D Powell - Received on Sat Jun 24 2006 - 16:07:29 CDT