Re: [Oracle 10g] Can't run SQL Scripts. Why?

From: <peter.koch.larsen_at_gmail.com>
Date: 8 May 2006 14:49:33 -0700

Brian Peasland skrev:

> > CREATE TABLE ttt
> > (
> > id int NOT NULL,
> > PRIMARY KEY
> > (
> > id
> > )
> >
> > gives the error "ORA-00911: invalid character"..

> It should not be be a surprise that the above throws an error as this is
> invalid syntax. Try the following instead:
>
> CREATE TABLE ttt
> (
>     id NUMBER NOT NULL PRIMARY KEY
> );

This is not true. All our DDL-statements are autogenerated following my original scheme. Also, Oracle accepts my original statement when i "fix" my SQL*PLUS command-line - a quite strong indication that you are mistaken ;-)
(int is accepted, of course - it is ANSI syntax).

> > I also tried to use SQL*Plus, but initially the only command I could
> > make work was "EXIT". Not even HELP worked. Removing the "/nolog"
> > option from the startup line did make SQL*Plus perform without any
> > problems (so far!).
>
> If you have not installed help, then it will not work. You will receive
> the following:
>
> SP2-0171: HELP not accessible.

My original problem using SQL*PLUS came from using the shortcut installed via the default installation. If was my accidental usage of sql*plus from the command line that made me discover what the problem was. I also have help available - when not starting with the /nolog option.

> > All in all my new meeting with Oracle (last visit was version 7.x) has
> > been disappointing. I'm quite confident that Oracle basically is a nice
> > and stable product, but what I've met with 10g simply is so sloppy I'd
> > never recommend it to others.
>
>  From what I've seen above, the problem is not Oracle 10g, but rather
> the usage of it. ;)

As you might guess, I have another opinion of this matter. Let me add, that I have installed and used Microsoft SQL Server, Ingres and Sybase without any problems (well... not entirely true, but they certainly were minor compared to Oracle).

> Cheers,
> Brian

/Peter Received on Mon May 08 2006 - 16:49:33 CDT