Re: [Oracle 10g] Can't run SQL Scripts. Why?

From: Brian Peasland <oracle_dba_at_nospam.peasland.net>
Date: Mon, 8 May 2006 14:59:23 GMT

> CREATE TABLE ttt
> (
> id int NOT NULL,
> PRIMARY KEY
> (
> id
> )
>
> gives the error "ORA-00911: invalid character"..

It should not be be a surprise that the above throws an error as this is invalid syntax. Try the following instead:

CREATE TABLE ttt
(

    id NUMBER NOT NULL PRIMARY KEY
);

> I also tried to use SQL*Plus, but initially the only command I could
> make work was "EXIT". Not even HELP worked. Removing the "/nolog"
> option from the startup line did make SQL*Plus perform without any
> problems (so far!).

If you have not installed help, then it will not work. You will receive the following:

SP2-0171: HELP not accessible.

> All in all my new meeting with Oracle (last visit was version 7.x) has
> been disappointing. I'm quite confident that Oracle basically is a nice
> and stable product, but what I've met with 10g simply is so sloppy I'd
> never recommend it to others.

 From what I've seen above, the problem is not Oracle 10g, but rather the usage of it. ;)

Cheers,
Brian