Re: .Net Reporting against Oracle

From: Larry Dooley <larrydooley_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 08 May 2006 09:54:28 -0500

HansF <News.Hans_at_telus.net> wrote in

> On Mon, 08 May 2006 01:45:30 +0000, ianal Vista wrote:
>
>> Larry Dooley <larrydooley_at_yahoo.com> wrote in

>>> We are on 9i but on Solaris. This is .NET so I really need an NT
>>> solution. I'd already thought of DBMS JOBS
>>>
>>> The real key is using procs for reporting (I've done tons of
>>> reporting systems, never used procs always dynamic sql passed to the
>>> oracle engine). Procs for OLTP fine I've done enough of those
>>> including some .NET. The real issue I see is constructing the
>>> dynamic sql and passing the complex parameters into the proc.
>>> Sometimes the user sends in one parameter for a particular report.
>>> At other times for the same report 3 or 4 will be sent in and one or
>>> two of them can be a list of variables.
>>>
>>> Got anythoughts on tha

We've got the problem licked building dynamic sql outside of oracle. In fact, it's a pretty nice solution. But we wrapped a more procedual language around oracle to build the sql and then just pass it to Oracle. Our solution handles all the variations on the parameters since it's an html post we can easily parse the value pairs, if we get multiple value for the same parameter then we've got a list and we just keep appending it until we get a new parameter. No big deal now. Also, it generic enough for us use on any of our reports. Because of the complexity of the datasource (a packaged solution) we have reports that have 4 unions against different sets of tables. In each union the actual column that we are going against can be different (sometimes a function). We handle that as well.

My heartburn is doing all of this in a proc. This is what I want feed back on. Potential solutions problems etc. Thnaks Received on Mon May 08 2006 - 09:54:28 CDT