Re: Can't connect MS Access to 8i

From: Geoff Muldoon <geoff.muldoon_at_trap.gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2006 12:01:15 +1000

anc_at_not_to_beadams-blake.not_tobe.com says...

> One other question that is close to this thread. Reason we are front-ending
> 8i with Access is because the report writer tools they have with Oracle are
> terrible. They need some very complex reports.... yesterday.

Oracle's report writer tools are NOT terrible, but they are highly complex and I agree that you won't get up to speed on them quickly.

> If they go to 10g, has Oracle come out with a tool as good as Access or
> Crystal... a 'banded' report generator that will do grouping and subtotals
> for you without having root canal?

> If not I'm going to advise they go to SQL-Server so they can use the new
> RMS that MS brought out a year to so ago.
>
> Cost of Oracle and MS is about the same (a lot) from what I understand. But
> this is a state agency that finally got an adequate appropriation and they
> have some money and they just GOTTA get off of 8i. They really like Oracle
> and have experience with it so if at all possible I want to recommend it.
> Anyway, I won't have the final say... I'm just a consultant.... no real
> power...just a little influence... and not even much of that!

First question .. what O/S is their data server running on? Odds are if they're a longer-term Oracle shop then it is more likely to be a *nix/linux not Windows. If so MS-SQL Server is not an option full stop, won't run, not cross-platform. Even if it is Windows, the DBA will NOT be your friend if you try and foist MS-SQL Server on them.

If you're not willing to put the time and effort getting into Oracle Reports, then look at some of the other third-party offerings like Crystal or Cognos (at the big end) or any one of the array of lighter-weight cheapish tools such as QLR Manager or DBxtra.

FWIW Microsoft Reporting Service (if you think it's worth consideration, and I don't!) can be easily set to use Oracle using Microsoft OLE DB for Oracle.

Geoff M Received on Thu Apr 06 2006 - 21:01:15 CDT