Re: Can't connect MS Access to 8i

From: ANC <anc_at_not_to_beadams-blake.not_tobe.com>
Date: Fri, 07 Apr 2006 00:28:33 GMT

Sybrand Bakker wrote:

> It is the *standard* communication driver which comes with Oracle
> Server and Oracle client. That said: you can't install the Oracle ODBC
> driver without installing the Oracle client, and the Microsoft or any
> other ODBC driver won't work without the Oracle client on board.

I guess you are right. When I went in to the client's office today they gave me a different user, pass, and server name. I made a new DSN and bingo I was able to connect with Access. Thus, I can only assume that slqnet, odbc or whatever is installed on my desktop.

Thanks for the help.

One other question that is close to this thread. Reason we are front-ending 8i with Access is because the report writer tools they have with Oracle are terrible. They need some very complex reports.... yesterday.

If they go to 10g, has Oracle come out with a tool as good as Access or Crystal... a 'banded' report generator that will do grouping and subtotals for you without having root canal?

 If not I'm going to advise they go to SQL-Server so they can use the new RMS that MS brought out a year to so ago.

Cost of Oracle and MS is about the same (a lot) from what I understand. But this is a state agency that finally got an adequate appropriation and they have some money and they just GOTTA get off of 8i. They really like Oracle and have experience with it so if at all possible I want to recommend it. Anyway, I won't have the final say... I'm just a consultant.... no real power...just a little influence... and not even much of that!

Thanks,
Al Received on Thu Apr 06 2006 - 19:28:33 CDT