Re: reading data from Oracle to Access

From: Mark C. Stock <mcstockX_at_Xenquery>
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2006 12:37:27 -0500

"DA Morgan" <damorgan_at_psoug.org> wrote in message news:1142959645.863682_at_yasure.drizzle.com...
: sandra.bleijerveld_at_gmail.com wrote:
: > Hi,
: >
: > I need to connect an Access (probably 2003) to an Oracle 9i db. I will
: > have readonly rights on the Oracle db. (just need to place the data
: > from oracle into access, no updates necessary from access to oracle)
: >
: > I'm aware that i have to use ODBC drivers to connect, but are there
: > other issues i should consider before starting to try to connect Access
: > to Oracle.
: >
: > Thnx
: >
: > Sandra
:
: The only issue I can think of is that it is a really bad idea.
:
: Roughly the equivalent of purchasing a Ferrari and then pulling it
: around with a Yugo. What is the business problem you are trying to
: solve and what is it you think MS Access is going to do that you
: can not do in Oracle, or a decent report writer, directly?
: --
: Daniel A. Morgan
: http://www.psoug.org
: damorgan_at_x.washington.edu
: (replace x with u to respond)

Actually Daniel, I was surprised when a number or years ago I was connected MS-Access to SQL-Server via ODBC that ODBC acting fairly intelligently in a lot of data-access situations, by passing the criteria to the server -- including join criteria that was written against the MS Access table links. I would think it would behave similarly with links to Oracle tables.

So in some situations, if you have users familiar with MS-Access and provide read-only access to the database it's not necessarily an evil thing. I rather like the layout capabilities of MS-Access reports, and really wish Oracle provided as nice a way of defining reports. It's actually not a bad report little writer.

++ mcs Received on Tue Mar 21 2006 - 11:37:27 CST