Re: dynamic sql - output actual string that includes all values from bind variables...

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Mon, 06 Mar 2006 11:15:35 -0800

centurionoftheseed wrote:
> Mr. Morgan - perhaps I misunderstood the nature of this group? "What I
> paid for?" Is this a paid site?

No. And that was my point.

We help when and where we can ... and how we choose. This is the equivalent to walking into a pub, walking up to a stranger, and asking him to help you with your homework. He has a perfect right to tell you to ....

> Secondly, I judged Mr. Bakker on the
> basis of his worthless comments, and I'm not interested in researching
> someone who has clearly demonstrated his colossal arrogance. Why did
> he even bother? What possible gain could either of us obtain from his
> reply?

His choice isn't it just as it is your choice to come back and whine about it. Freedom of speech is a marvelous concept.

> What is this nonsense? I posted a question because I was under the
> impression that people came here to share knowledge. "Offered nothing
> and asked for something?"

You were right. We are here to share our knowledge. But we do so when we choose and how we choose. It is yours to accept or ignore. But from where I sit you have no right to complain. If you are not happy with how Sybrand responded you are free to open a TAR at metalink, to go to the OTN forums, or ask the DBA down the hall.

> If the quality of your replies do not measure up to the quality of your
> work and talent - what are you doing here?

Whatever we wish. You seem to somehow feel that because we volunteer our time we have some unwritten obligation to do something more meaningful than scratch ourselves. Hopefully we do but we are not so obligated.

> Nevertheless, you tried to be helpful before, and I appreciate that.

Thank you. I do try. But there are plenty of people that have had occassion to be unhappy with me too.

> I had no idea I was going to have to defend the fact that I simply
> asked a question. Reminds me of our government - assault the person
> who asks the questions, and never mind the answers.

There is a difference you seem to be working hard to ignore. Your government is employed by you to meet your needs: We are not. Your government (however poorly it may do it) is obligated to help you.

> I don't think I'll be wasting my time here any further, but I
> appreciate those who at least gave an effort without all the noise.
>
> Rick

That is your choice. But please do consider that you didn't have to respond negatively to Sybrand. You could have ignored his reply and reposted your question in another way here or in another forum. What you did was the result of you making a choice.

If you check the archives you will find that Sybrand has taken a few swipes at me too. Some deserved some perhaps not. But I made a choice to either ignore the comments or, when I thought he was correct, to apologize for my error. Hopefully a bit of wisdom that comes from living as long as I have. ;-)

--
Daniel A. Morgan
http://www.psoug.org