Re: SQLDMO for Oracle

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Mon, 06 Feb 2006 11:20:32 -0800

Mark C. Stock wrote:

> this thread is getting just plain silly. users don't know about backups?
> programmers don't know about backups? c'mon!
>
> ++ mcs

Sorry to disagree here but unless your post is tinged with sarcasm ... I must agree that developers really know nothing of backups. How many so-called DBAs do exports and call that backing up the system?

Here are questions I'd feel comfortable putting to developers and that could not be answered, except by guessing, by the vast majority.

  1. Do you backup the system tablespace?
  2. Do you backup the sysaux tablespace?
  3. Do you backup the temp tablespace?
  4. Do you backup the undo tablespace?
  5. Do you backup the control files files?
  6. Do you backup the archive logs?
  7. Do you backup the flashback files?
  8. Do you backup the spfile?
  9. Do you backup the password file? you get the point.

I'd be willing to bet that Narayan Verma probably doesn't know enough about backups to pass my RMAN course based on what I've seen in this thread.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
http://www.psoug.org