Re: Table design decision

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2006 13:40:30 -0800

Martin Doherty wrote:
> DA Morgan wrote:
> [snip]
>

>> I respectfully disagree. At least based on what you have written here
>> so far. Consider the following lookup table design:
>>
>> ID           NUMBER(10),
>> OBJECT_TYPE  VARCHAR2(5),
>> OBJECT_VALUE VARCHAR2(30));
>>
>> It can handle an infinite number of objects of an infinite number of
>> types ... all in one object. I'm not saying it would work for you ...
>> but 50 lookup tables ought to drive any report writer that has to deal
>> with this later absolutely crazy.
>>
>> Ah you have already met with the report writers and gotten their
>> requirements and input haven't you?

> That would be the neatest solution, and echoes the approach used in
> Oracle E-Business Suite for lookup values, but bumps up against the
> unfortunate requirement of 50 different FK constraints that support a
> cascading delete.
>
> It may be a failure of my imagination but I can't see any other way to
> maintain that behavior without either the monster table of 50 mutex FK
> columns, or 50 separate tables. Adding a 51st object type will result
> in either adding a column to the monster table, or creating a new
> table. Personally I'd probably stick with the monster table to keep my
> logical schema more manageable (49 fewer entities).
>
> Martin

I think it is lack of imagination in that I suspect the requirement for 50 separate foreign keys was written by you ... no end user has ever demanded a specific number of foreign keys ... they just ask for specific functionality. Go back to the drawing board. ;-)

--
Daniel A. Morgan
http://www.psoug.org