Re: Bulk Collect without LIMIT

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2006 08:53:16 -0800

Andy Hassall wrote:
> On Wed, 11 Jan 2006 18:20:07 +0100, "Michel Cadot" <micadot{at}altern{dot}org>
> wrote:
>

>>"raghu" <raghu_vnin_at_yahoo.com> a écrit dans le message de news: 1136999673.981564.109260_at_g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
>>| 1. What happens if the limit option is not specified in the bulk
>>| collect? Are all the records fetched at once?
>>| 2. Is there a limitation in terms of maximum number of records that can
>>| be fetched in this way?
>>
>>1. Yes
>>2. Process memory

> There might also be an upper limit of 2147483647 rows according to the bit in
> the PL/SQL manual about collection type numeric subscript limits.
>
> Process memory is probably the earlier limit though..!

Just had a thought on this but don't know the answer. As I understand it Oracle, with 10g, merged the BULK COLLECT and FETCH to use the same mechanism. If you just say OPEN CURSOR ... FETCH cursor INTO record it is as fast as BULK COLLECT without the LIMIT clause. Is it essentially doing the same thing and thus subject to disaster with a very large table?

--
Daniel A. Morgan
http://www.psoug.org