Re: Can't connect to Oracle Dbase with SQL Server 2005 Express

From: Mark Townsend <markbtownsend_at_comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2005 17:54:19 -0800

Does the phrase "going from the sublime to the ridiculous" have any meaning for you :-)

> OLE DB provider "MSDAORA" for linked server "ORACLE" returned message
> "Oracle client and networking components were not found. These
> components are supplied by Oracle Corporation and are part of the
> Oracle Version 7.3.3 or later client software installation.".

Is this on the same machine that Oracle is installed on ? Then it's likely that you haven't installed the required client software. The SQLPlus connections don't necessarily go through the network layer if you are doing them on the same box.

> When I try connecting withe Oracle provider I get the following -
>
> OLE DB provider "OraOLEDB.Oracle" for linked server "ORACLETEST2"
> returned message "ORA-01017: invalid username/password; logon denied".
> Msg 7303, Level 16, State 1, Line 2

Cool - This shows that the Oracle provider is connecting to the Oracle database - that error message comes from the database itself.

> I've set the password up as a local to remote login mapping using the
> security page of the Linked Server property dialog. The username /
> password are definitely correct

Nope - the username/password being provided to the Oracle database are definitely NOT correct. I have no idea what "local to remote mapping using the security page of the Linked Server property dialog" actually means, so can't help there, but I'm guessing that's the problem.

As an aside, why SQL Server Express ? If you download Oracle Database Express Edition and use that to connect to the backend Oracle database, you may find life a little easier, a lot less sublime, and definitely not as ridiculous -
http://www.oracle.com/technology/products/database/xe/index.html Received on Thu Dec 15 2005 - 19:54:19 CST