Can't connect to Oracle Dbase with SQL Server 2005 Express

From: <danbredy_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 15 Dec 2005 09:14:44 -0800

Hi,

I'm attempting to connect to an Oracle database using SQL Server 2005 Express (OS is Windows XP Professional) and having absolutely no luck. Here is the information SQL Plus
gives me about the database when I log in -

Connected to:
Oracle9i Enterprise Edition Release 9.2.0.6.0 - 64bit Production With the Partitioning, OLAP and Oracle Data Mining options JServer Release 9.2.0.6.0 - Production

As you can see I have no problem connecting with the Oracle specific tools (SQL PLUS and PL/SQL Developer).

I've tried creating a linked server with both the Microsoft provided OLE DB provider and the Oracle provider. With the Microsoft Provider I get the following error when attempting a query in the query edit window.

OLE DB provider "MSDAORA" for linked server "ORACLE" returned message
"Oracle client and networking components were not found. These
components are supplied by Oracle Corporation and are part of the Oracle Version 7.3.3 or later client software installation. Provider is unable to function until these components are installed.". Msg 7303, Level 16, State 1, Line 2
Cannot initialize the data source object of OLE DB provider "MSDAORA" for linked server "ORACLE".

When I try connecting withe Oracle provider I get the following -

OLE DB provider "OraOLEDB.Oracle" for linked server "ORACLETEST2" returned message "ORA-01017: invalid username/password; logon denied". Msg 7303, Level 16, State 1, Line 2
Cannot initialize the data source object of OLE DB provider
"OraOLEDB.Oracle" for linked server "ORACLETEST2".

I've set the password up as a local to remote login mapping using the security page of the Linked Server property dialog. The username / password are definitely correct -- I used them to log in using SQL PLUS and PL/SQL Developer. I'm using an Oracle 9 client.

PLEASE HELP !!!!! Thanks,

Signed Frustrated Received on Thu Dec 15 2005 - 11:14:44 CST