Re: MS Access, Oracle 9i, security, and pass-thru update queries

From: DFS <nospam_at_dfs_.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2005 20:07:47 -0400

Tim Marshall wrote:
> DFS wrote:
>
>> I use a mixture. I often create Oracle views and use them as linked
>> tables. But I like the Access iif() better than the Oracle CASE WHEN
>> END.
>
> I prefer Case statements, myself. 8)
>
>> Did you consider a Select-only ROLE? That's what I use sometimes.
>
> Hmmm, I started with users when I began working on the Oracle app I
> manage. Haven't had a need to look at anything else.
>

>>> Any and all action statements are done as per my example in my first
>>> post.
>>
>> What do you do when you have datasheets that users need to update?
>
> The same thing. The unfortunate thing about PTQ versus linked tables
> is that a PTQ Select is not updateable.

So if you have a datasheet where the User needs to...

  1. choose a Status from a combobox
  2. fill in a date
  3. choose a name from a combo box
  4. enter a comment

and they have to do this for 100 records, you execute 400 update queries (passing in a record ID, field name, and update value), rather than use a linked table?

Scary! Received on Thu Oct 13 2005 - 19:07:47 CDT