Re: MS Access, Oracle 9i, security, and pass-thru update queries

From: Tim Marshall <TIMMY!_at_PurplePandaChasers.Moertherium>
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2005 10:06:25 -0230

DFS wrote:

> So if you have a datasheet where the User needs to...
>
> 1) choose a Status from a combobox
> 2) fill in a date
> 3) choose a name from a combo box
> 4) enter a comment
>
> and they have to do this for 100 records, you execute 400 update queries
> (passing in a record ID, field name, and update value), rather than use a
> linked table?

Personally, I would execute 100 update statements if I designed it and go by record/row (row and column are the appropriate terminology in Oracle, BTW).

> Scary!

Not according to E F Codd, it's not. What do you think Access is doing to Jet when you do the above?

--
Tim    http://www.ucs.mun.ca/~tmarshal/
^o<