Re: calling sql from korn shell script

From: William Robertson <william.robertson_at_bigfoot.com>
Date: 9 Oct 2005 15:05:57 -0700

HansF wrote:
> On Fri, 07 Oct 2005 15:42:18 -0700, William Robertson interested us by
> writing:
>
> > I'm also puzzled about why I so often see #!/bin/ksh at the top of
> > Bourne shell scripts.
>

> Bottom line is that #! in column 1 of line 1 is interpreted as the 'magic
> number' for an executable, and the program used immediately after the
> magic number is interpreted as the shell to be used for the script.
>
> IOW, what you are seeing are not Bourne scripts, but Korn scripts. The
> /bin/ksh does an immediate switch. For more info, man execve(2)
>
> --
> Hans Forbrich
> Canada-wide Oracle training and consulting
> mailto: Fuzzy.GreyBeard_at_gmail.com
> *** I no longer assist with top-posted newsgroup queries ***

What I meant was, why do people launch the ksh interpreter and then only use Bourne shell features, which Korn shell graciously supports for backward compatibility? Single square bracket expressions and "-eq", for example. It's almost as if they have not checked what it can do. Received on Sun Oct 09 2005 - 17:05:57 CDT