Re: calling sql from korn shell script

From: HansF <News.Hans_at_telus.net>
Date: Fri, 07 Oct 2005 23:55:07 GMT

On Fri, 07 Oct 2005 15:42:18 -0700, William Robertson interested us by writing:

> I'm also puzzled about why I so often see #!/bin/ksh at the top of
> Bourne shell scripts.

Bottom line is that #! in column 1 of line 1 is interpreted as the 'magic number' for an executable, and the program used immediately after the magic number is interpreted as the shell to be used for the script.

IOW, what you are seeing are not Bourne scripts, but Korn scripts. The /bin/ksh does an immediate switch. For more info, man execve(2)

--
Hans Forbrich
mailto: Fuzzy.GreyBeard_at_gmail.com