Re: calling sql from korn shell script

From: HansF <News.Hans_at_telus.net>
Date: Sun, 09 Oct 2005 23:33:01 GMT

On Sun, 09 Oct 2005 15:05:57 -0700, William Robertson interested us by writing:

> What I meant was, why do people launch the ksh interpreter and then
> only use Bourne shell features, which Korn shell graciously supports
> for backward compatibility? Single square bracket expressions and
> "-eq", for example. It's almost as if they have not checked what it can
> do.

Ah. Sorry to have misunderstood. The answer to that is simplicity in itself.

Basically "when you do not understand what you are doing, copy that which others have done that works and make the smallest changes possible to achieve you goals." AKA 'pattern based programming'.

It is very common amongst modern programmers, and very useful at the learning stage. Reduces, even eliminates, the need to think. And provides the CYA element of 'precedence' that is mandatory in all fields, especially law, for redirecting responsibility elsewhere.

You are absolutely correct that it is not needed here. But why buck the trend?

--
Hans Forbrich
mailto: Fuzzy.GreyBeard_at_gmail.com