Re: What do Oracle professionals think of Fabian Pascal?

From: <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 29 Aug 2005 16:53:19 -0700

http://www.dbdebunk.com/page/page/2089650.htm shows that he still really thinks everyone is stupid and has a low opinion of the great unwashed masses. I seemed to have got some small measure of fame from upbraiding him about this 15 years ago on compuserve, when he was abusing some poor soul because his damagement weren't caring about whether database products had completely implemented the relational model.

Aside from not respecting the average geek, I think he is right on technically and theoretically. Don't see how to get there practically (although we can hope Tom Kyte can make it so).

>He is constantly railing against vendor extensions (which, from what
>I've read, he would see as corruptions) of the Relational Model,
>however my own thougts would be that a competent professional can say
>to himself "Right, this isn't fully compliant, but it does what I want
>quickly and easily, so I'll use it until something better comes
>along".

So are you, in his words, "oblivious to the problems" or not?

I can say I am pretty much oblivious to the problems, since "the marketplace" wants results from me, so how to do that is the stuff I tend to remember and care about. Since I started with relational databases before SQL was the, um, standard data interchange language, I do sometimes wish things were different, in the manner Fabian advocates. Then I run into this XML crap and go "What the heck do we do now???"

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
http://pluto.jhuapl.edu/ecard/scripts/addSignaturesForm.php