What do Oracle professionals think of Fabian Pascal?

From: Paul <paul_at_see.my.sig.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Aug 2005 11:08:35 +0100

I have been visiting the site www.dbdebunk.com recently and have found the musings of the author interesting. Having seen some disasters in my time (in terms of adherence to any sort of reasonable database design), I agree with a lot of what he has to say. I'm not sure that I completely understand his constant criticism of SQL (more reading required maybe?).

He is constantly railing against vendor extensions (which, from what I've read, he would see as corruptions) of the Relational Model, however my own thougts would be that a competent professional can say to himself "Right, this isn't fully compliant, but it does what I want quickly and easily, so I'll use it until something better comes along".

I would be interested in the opinions of other posters in this group, particulary from those who have posted stuff in the past about the need for the data-management industry to get itself some decent independent standards prevalent in other industries (medical, legal, architecture...).

Paul...

--

plinehan __at__ yahoo __dot__ __com__

XP Pro, SP 2,

Oracle, 9.2.0.1.0 (Enterprise Ed.)
Interbase 6.0.1.0;

When asking database related questions, please give other posters
some clues, like operating system, version of db being used and DDL.
The exact text and/or number of error messages is useful (!= "it didn't work!").
Thanks.

Furthermore, as a courtesy to those who spend
time analysing and attempting to help, please
do not top post.