Re: What do Oracle professionals think of Fabian Pascal?

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Sat, 27 Aug 2005 10:44:50 -0700

Paul wrote:

> I have been visiting the site www.dbdebunk.com recently and have found
> the musings of the author interesting. Having seen some disasters in
> my time (in terms of adherence to any sort of reasonable database
> design), I agree with a lot of what he has to say. I'm not sure that I
> completely understand his constant criticism of SQL (more reading
> required maybe?).
>

> He is constantly railing against vendor extensions (which, from what
> I've read, he would see as corruptions) of the Relational Model,
> however my own thougts would be that a competent professional can say
> to himself "Right, this isn't fully compliant, but it does what I want
> quickly and easily, so I'll use it until something better comes
> along".
>
> I would be interested in the opinions of other posters in this group,
> particulary from those who have posted stuff in the past about the
> need for the data-management industry to get itself some decent
> independent standards prevalent in other industries (medical, legal,
> architecture...).
>

> Paul...

Purists (fanatics) in any endeavour should be treated with disdain.

The fact that an extension exists is neither a good thing nor a bad thing ... it is just a thing. The question should be one of whether said extension helps solve real-world business problems.

Last time I looked no one from an ANSI committee asked me, or my business and academic associates, what we needed in the way of functionality: Oracle has and Oracle has delivered.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
http://www.psoug.org