Re: Recursive materialized view

From: Mark D Powell <Mark.Powell_at_eds.com>
Date: 2 Aug 2005 07:31:23 -0700

I am going to discuss this base on the subject line saying materialized view. As a materialized is really a copy of data stored in a table with the primary intent of being used via query rewrite but which can also be directly queried it is then possible to read deleted base table data via the materialized view providing the refresh is delayed long enough to support querying the data.

I would have to question if the materialzed view in this case could be used for query rewrite since it is obviously very stale. I would also question if a materialized view is the correct feature to be used in this process. Table row delete triggers and a history table may well be a better choice with a normal view that unions selects from the target and history tables might be more appropriate, but then we are given no clue to the purpose of attempting to use a materialized view this way.

HTH -- Mark D Powell --

 And any process that wanted to access rows from the materialized view that had been deleted from the base table should be re-visited Received on Tue Aug 02 2005 - 09:31:23 CDT