Re: How big are Oracle databases?

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2005 22:45:31 -0700

Niall Litchfield wrote:

>>I will agree that anything can be made big. But not everything can
>>be made scalable or tunable. And very few things are made well
>>instrumented. As size increases the need for instrumentation becomes
>>more and more important. A critical issue when making size decisions.

> I'm assuming you'd recommend against Oracle apps, Oracle App Server etc
> then. Presumably you'd run scalable business critical stuff only on VMS and
> with well documented programs written in C?

Not what I said at all. I couldn't disagree more.

Yes 10g App Server is terribly under-instrumented but then so is every other offering on the market so that doesn't make or break a decision. But Oracle Apps? Run them on top of the RDBMS and they are in the best possible environment. Same would go for running PeopleSoft.

> Or put it another way, I'd love to live in that world - but it isn't the
> real one. Even Oracle who have the best instrumented db on earth (till
> sql2005 arrives) don't do it. Hell I'd settle for primary and foreign keys.

Don't get me going on apps without constraints. But if you think SQL2005 is going to have instrumentation that matches Oracles's ... think again. Right now they don't even have a releasable product and they have been threatening to release it for years just to keep from losing mind-share.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington