Re: How big are Oracle databases?

From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_dial.pipex.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2005 20:45:23 +0100

"DA Morgan" <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote in message news:1113934207.347533_at_yasure...
> Jack wrote:
>> "Jim Smith" <jim_at_jimsmith.demon.co.uk> kirjoitti
>> viestissä:3NUoA8IzJkYCFwUd_at_jimsmith.demon.co.uk...
>>
>>>Much is made of Oracle's ability to cope with very large databases and
>>>there are obviously increasing numbers of 100s GB and TB databases out
>>>there. But how big is the typical Oracle database now.?
>>

>> I think that size does not matter, you can make big database with any
>> xxx-rdbs.
>> Mission critical is more inportant measurement, and business needs to
>> legitimate used resources.
>> But as always these are only opinions.
>> If you like Ford more than Porsche, it is OK.
>
> I will agree that anything can be made big. But not everything can
> be made scalable or tunable. And very few things are made well
> instrumented. As size increases the need for instrumentation becomes
> more and more important. A critical issue when making size decisions.

I'm assuming you'd recommend against Oracle apps, Oracle App Server etc then. Presumably you'd run scalable business critical stuff only on VMS and with well documented programs written in C?

Or put it another way, I'd love to live in that world - but it isn't the real one. Even Oracle who have the best instrumented db on earth (till sql2005 arrives) don't do it. Hell I'd settle for primary and foreign keys.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA