Re: How big are Oracle databases?

From: <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 19 Apr 2005 16:04:38 -0700

I saw an online form job app that asked how many rows was in the biggest database you've worked on (or something like that). It stumped me, I didn't really know, and later when I looked at a database I saw I actually put a wrong answer, too small by far. The usual issue is how big is the db or how many rows are in some particularly big tables. Is it a stupid question? Stupid questions on job apps really irk me, more so than stupid OCP questions.

I typically work on OLTP MRP ERP types of db's, 30-200G. To me, there is more of an issue with db's on older hardware than pure size on modern hardware. How to backup/restore? How to do things in particular time windows or response times? How to not kill the HA stuff? How to make something workable for developers/testers? How and what to purge? The db tends to be bigger than the hardware except in blue-sky dotcoms, if you look at everything necessary.

It is ok to like Ford more than Porsche, especially if you have to haul a lot of manure.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
http://www.jomart.com/porsche_tractor.htm