Re: Why? Oracle LONGVARCHAR Returning Wide Chars using ODBC "default" type

From: Frank van Bortel <fvanbortel_at_netscape.net>
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2005 16:01:23 +0200

Nick Knight wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've got a couple of different versions of Oracle servers (8 & 9) running
> in-house as test platforms. My software works very well with these via ODBC
> connections. However, I've now hit my second install where LONGVARCHAR data
> is coming back as wide characters - Unicode. I'm expecting single byte
> ASCII; which is all I get from my machines.
>
> I'd sure like to be able to set up the same scenario in house so that I can
> tackle all of the issues at once instead of as the customer happens to hit
> them.
>
> Can anyone explain to me, please, how I get a ODBC call to get column data
> on a longvarchar to return a wide string? I guess the better question might
> be how to prevent it (I'm sure an exact type, instead of "default" would do
> it), but I'd sure like to recreate the issue, and any others, myself.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Nick

I know about LONG LONG RAW, CHAR, VARCHAR2, NCHAR, NVARCHAR2 datatypes, but LONG VARCHAR? Would that be CLOB, perhaps?

Check the characterset definition on the client and on the server; one of them may request UTF, hence a conversion to multibyte characters. Maybe even the database was defined in UTF...

--
Regards,
Frank van Bortel