Why? Oracle LONGVARCHAR Returning Wide Chars using ODBC "default" type

From: Nick Knight <bhnc_140__at_mr2ice.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 23:36:23 GMT

Hi,

I've got a couple of different versions of Oracle servers (8 & 9) running in-house as test platforms. My software works very well with these via ODBC connections. However, I've now hit my second install where LONGVARCHAR data is coming back as wide characters - Unicode. I'm expecting single byte ASCII; which is all I get from my machines.

I'd sure like to be able to set up the same scenario in house so that I can tackle all of the issues at once instead of as the customer happens to hit them.

Can anyone explain to me, please, how I get a ODBC call to get column data on a longvarchar to return a wide string? I guess the better question might be how to prevent it (I'm sure an exact type, instead of "default" would do it), but I'd sure like to recreate the issue, and any others, myself.

Thanks in advance,

Nick Received on Tue Apr 19 2005 - 18:36:23 CDT