Re: Why? Oracle LONGVARCHAR Returning Wide Chars using ODBC "default" type

From: Nick Knight <bhnc_140__at_mr2ice.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2005 01:43:27 GMT

In <d45n4l$h1s$1_at_news2.zwoll1.ov.home.nl>, on 04/20/2005

   at 04:01 PM, Frank van Bortel <fvanbortel_at_netscape.net> said:

>I know about LONG LONG RAW, CHAR, VARCHAR2, NCHAR, NVARCHAR2 datatypes, but
>LONG VARCHAR? Would that be CLOB, perhaps?

>Check the characterset definition on the client and on the server; one of
>them may request UTF, hence a conversion to multibyte characters. Maybe
>even the database was defined in UTF...

Thanks. As I mentioned in a previous post this evening, the type I meant to specify was "long".

I fiddled with charsets on my own machines, and checked those on the customer's machine. There seems to be little difference. ODBC drivers are the same ... 9.2 Oracle branded and settings equal.

Nick Received on Wed Apr 20 2005 - 20:43:27 CDT