Re: Oracle 7.3 v 9.2 client connection problems

From: Tig <Simon.Cullen_at_BHPBilliton.com>
Date: 11 Apr 2005 00:03:16 -0700

Thank you Rauf. Yes, it appears that as you said it is an Oracle support issue, and I "won't be able to connect to 7.3.x from 9.2.x client".

I got this from the Oracle site:
"However, since Oracle 7.3.4 was desupported before Oracle9i Release 2 (9.2) was released, 9.2 does not support Oracle 7.3.4." So in spite of the fact that there are tens of thousands of productive Oracle 7.3.x servers out there in commercial usage, Oracle doesn't think anyone would want to connect to them. :( And yes, I know 7.3.x is old now.

I do have an Oracle 7.3 client on the PC provided to me here, but it looks as though the Oracle 9.2 client clobbered it, so I will get the 7.3 client re-installed. This should fix the problem. I don't need the Oracle 9.2 client at the moment so I will get rid of it. Supposedly the two clients should co-exist happily but I guess I won't try that until i have a need for it.

Thanks,
Simon