Re: DIRECTORIES and BFILE problems

From: JavaDeveloper <developer_at_java.it>
Date: Sun, 06 Mar 2005 14:52:27 GMT

"Hexathioorthooxalate" <ruler_at_removemetoemail.clara.co.uk> wrote in message news:1109947331.30174.0_at_lotis.uk.clara.net...

> "D Rolfe" <dwrolfeFRUITBAT_at_orindasoft.com> wrote in message
> >

> > 2. Use BFILE to access (not store!) the file by
> > 2(a) Running your program on the same machine as the database
server.
> > or
> > 2(b) Creating the BFILE pointers and then using some other process
> > copy the file to the DB server before anyone notices it's not really
> > there.
> >

> Or 2(c), mapping a drive and having both the client and database server
> write to and read from the same mapped drive. This way the file referred
> by the BFILE can be on the DB server but it need not be.
>
> I note that the original poster is running Oracle on a WinBox - a
cautionary
> note that has caught me out before should you go down this route. The
> database can only access drives that it can see when the database instance
> is started, it cannot access drives that have been mapped subsequently.
Put
> another way, is the Z: drive is mapped before Oracle starts up, and it is
on
> a different machine/storage array etc, the database instance can access
> files from the share via BFILE/DBMS_LOB or whatever. If the Z: drive is
> mapped once the database instance has started, you cannot.

Thanks at all of you.
I supposed that I had to have files on the db server to point at them through a BFILE Object. I tried also to give a net directory path, like \\mycomputer\files\, but It does not like it. Strange... So, I'll consider to move all my files on the db server, or use a BLOB Object. With these ones (BLOBs) I can't reach a net directory path like \\mycomputer\files\ anyway!! Why? I can't to do this?

I'm thinking about the convenience of storing many many files in BLOB. I calculated that as result I achieve about 8 Gb of data as a whole (every file is about 60 Kb). Maybe a BFILE is better?

Any suggestion?

Thanks
Matt Received on Sun Mar 06 2005 - 08:52:27 CST