Re: DIRECTORIES and BFILE problems

From: D Rolfe <dwrolfeFRUITBAT_at_orindasoft.com>
Date: Mon, 07 Mar 2005 09:04:48 +0000

JavaDeveloper wrote:

> I'm thinking about the convenience of storing many many files in BLOB. I
> calculated that as result I achieve about 8 Gb of data as a whole (every
> file is about 60 Kb). Maybe a BFILE is better?
>
> Any suggestion?

If in doubt choose BLOB over BFILE. It may take up space but space is cheap these days and the BLOBS will be easier to take care of:

  1. BFILES can be deleted by people who don't have access to the database
  2. BFILES aren't exported (the BFILE pointers are), which has implications for maintainance and backups.

Pay close attention to how Oracle is storing your BLOBS. Reading the manuals will be worthwhile.

David Rolfe
Orinda Software
Dublin, Ireland Received on Mon Mar 07 2005 - 03:04:48 CST