Re: logged into SQL*Plus now what

From: HansF <News.Hans_at_telus.net>
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2005 16:47:24 GMT

On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 07:32:46 -0800, Rauf Sarwar wrote:

> I would not recommend just wingin' it as you establish bad habits which
> will stay with you for a long time... kinda like learning the swear
> words :>). I recommend you visit http://tahiti.oracle.com and these
> forums regulary.

Futher to Rauf's answer, as a newbie you should become familiar with http://otn.oracle.com in general. For example, Tahiti, referenced by Rauf is a front end to the docco, as is the 'Documentation' link on otn.

There are also forums, sample code, and white papers. The latter, while generally by us tekies disparaged by us tekkies as marketing, are very important because they tell you what is intended by Oracle. If you understand what they are driving at, you have a way of reducing your, and your company's, Oracle-related costs (sometimes simply by avoiding secondary and possibly unnecessary software purchases.)

In addition, Oracle has some pretty decent online tutorials called 'Oracle By Example' (OBE). Check out http://otn.oracle.com/obe/start

While the OBEs they are tailored to show the new features for each version, anything that runs in SQLPlus in any of the versions shown will run (pretty well unchanged) in the 10g you have installed. That should give you some help.

Also, Oracle has traditionally put in a few 'demo' users - the original being 'SCOTT' (traditional password TIGER, therefore written as SCOTT/TIGER), and a new set including OE (order entry), HR (human resources), SH (shipping) and a few others I can't remember off the top of my head.

hth/Hans Received on Wed Jan 12 2005 - 10:47:24 CST