Re: logged into SQL*Plus now what

From: Rauf Sarwar <rs_arwar_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 12 Jan 2005 07:32:46 -0800

dak wrote:
> I just ran:
> select table_name from dba_tables (found that one on the forum);
>
> I see things that look like tables and fields such as the one below -
but I
> don't see table names. I even ran the LIST command to see my
buffer....I'm
> moving right along.
> I'm guessing, those (costs, sales etc) are 6 fields in a table.
> TABLE_NAME
> ---------------------------------
> PROMOTIONS
> CHANNELS
> PRODUCTS
> TIMES
> COSTS
> SALES
>
> Wing'ing it will have to do (for now). Many tourist wing it and take
> dictionary along with them on vacation in another country and do the
best
> they can with what they know.
> Sorry, haven't taken a course, read a book yet, nor am I a dba or
programmer
> but isn't this a board that helps newbies begin as well as the
experts that
> already know it ?
> Some on the boards do help while others provide only critism and
> RTFM.....nobody needs that kind of help.
> Thank you,
>
> "Alan" <alan_at_erols.com> wrote in message
> >
> > "dak" <kpec090981_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >> Finally logged in 10g on WinXP using sysman as username and the
password
> >> gave during install.
> >> I'm totally a newbie and I'm in Oracle SQL*Plus (still can't seem
to log
> > on
> >> the Web Enterprise Manager).
> >> Just at the SQL> | prompt......and......now what ?
> >>
> >> Is there a sample dB, files/tables to access?
> >> I can do the help index...but I'm atta lost.........baby steps
here.

> >> I'll be taking my first sql course in a few months but want to
play a bit
> >> before than. No, I don't have a book either and I'm just wing'ing
it.
> >> Thanks.
> >>

> > You can't wing it. SQL is a language. Can you "wing" Swedish? You
need a
> > book and/or a class.

Looks like you are progressing OK. Nobody is born an Oracle expert... heck there is no such thing as expert of anything. I would not recommend just wingin' it as you establish bad habits which will stay with you for a long time... kinda like learning the swear words :>). I recommend you visit http://tahiti.oracle.com and these forums regulary. Although I have not personally read it but most everyone in this forum recommends Tom Kyte's "Personal Oracle one on one"... I may have quoted the title wrong.

You can post any queries in these NG's as a newbie and people will help you out... provided you have already RTFM and researched in the NG's, Docs etc.

Good luck.
/Rauf Received on Wed Jan 12 2005 - 09:32:46 CST