Re: logged into SQL*Plus now what

From: Turkbear <john.g_at_dot.spamfree.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2005 10:54:54 -0600

"dak" <kpec090981_at_hotmail.com> wrote:

>I just ran:
> select table_name from dba_tables (found that one on the forum);
>
>I see things that look like tables and fields such as the one below - but I
>don't see table names. I even ran the LIST command to see my buffer....I'm
>moving right along.
>I'm guessing, those (costs, sales etc) are 6 fields in a table.
>TABLE_NAME
>---------------------------------
>PROMOTIONS
>CHANNELS
>PRODUCTS
>TIMES
>COSTS
>SALES

NO..Those are table names ( It is what you asked for in your query), the table dba_tables contains data about tables, including the table_name.

One way to see the fields in a record in a table is to do, from SqlPlus, desc <Table_name> : for instance
desc PROMOTIONS

will show you the structure of that table. Received on Wed Jan 12 2005 - 10:54:54 CST