Re: What are SYSDBA, SYSOPER, SYS, and SYSTEM?

From: HansF <news.hans_at_telus.net>
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2004 03:22:56 GMT

Basically NO. (Embedded reponses.)

aleatory wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> An Oracle newbie would like to ask a few questions
> on SYSDBA, SYSOPER, SYS, and SYSTEM.
>
> Am I correct to say:
>
> *SYSDBA
> Much like UNIX's root account. The account basically
> can do anything including destroying the database.
>
> *SYSOPER
> Simply a bit less privilaged account than SYSDBA.

No. These are privileges and allow users who have them to perform some 'superuser' style ops. Think of them a bit more like groups. (But still a bit different.)

> *SYSTEM
> I understand Oracle automatically provides this
> account, but don't know differences between SYSDBA
> and SYSTEM.
>
> *SYS
> Really not sure about this. I know Oracle tells me
> SYSDBA is SYS after executing the following:

SYS is a bit more like root, since it owns all the 'kernel structures'. However, unlike root, you should almost never access sys except to reboot..

Much of the admin work can be done as system, which has a controlled root-like power.

All this is described in detail in the Administrator's & Concepts guides for the version you are using. Online docco is at http://docs.oracle.com

/Has Received on Tue Nov 23 2004 - 21:22:56 CST