What are SYSDBA, SYSOPER, SYS, and SYSTEM?

From: aleatory <aleatory_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 23 Nov 2004 16:18:30 -0800

Hello all,

An Oracle newbie would like to ask a few questions on SYSDBA, SYSOPER, SYS, and SYSTEM.

Am I correct to say:

*SYSDBA

 Much like UNIX's root account. The account basically  can do anything including destroying the database.

*SYSOPER

 Simply a bit less privilaged account than SYSDBA.

*SYSTEM

 I understand Oracle automatically provides this  account, but don't know differences between SYSDBA  and SYSTEM.

*SYS

 Really not sure about this. I know Oracle tells me  SYSDBA is SYS after executing the following:

     | SQL> connect /as sysdba
     | SQL> show user
     | User is "SYS"

Some insightful and analogous comments are highly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance,

alea Received on Tue Nov 23 2004 - 18:18:30 CST