Re: Controlling the number of users in the database

From: Sybrand Bakker <gooiditweg_at_sybrandb.verwijderdit.demon.nl>
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2004 00:04:05 +0100

comments embedded

On 22 Nov 2004 13:44:13 -0800, daniel.ostertag_at_visaer.com (DanO) wrote:

>I have been tasked with finding a way to control (limit) the number of
>users that log into the Oracle database while using our proprietary
>application product. For example, a client may buy our product and
>purchase a 100 user license. We need a way to prevent the 101st user
>from logging into the database.
>
>I know about the init.ora params (sessions, processes, and
>license_max_sessions), but these can be changed by a DBA.

So what? What's so special about your propietary application you don't trust DBA's? If your application is that special as a DBA I probably don't want to maintain it.

 Plus these
>can be misleading as one connection can spawn several processes.

Not true.

>Does anyone know of a product or a method whereby I can record a user
>logging onto the database and add to a counter (and do the opposite
>for logoff)? I'm sure a home-written solution could be created using
>event triggers, etc. but I'm hoping not to re-invent the wheel if
>somebody knows of a system, method, or little know parameter that can
>work.
>
>Thanks,
>Dan

The 'product' you need is a little more RTFM, under 'audit session' and 'create profile'

--
Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA